- Trunks (or trunk type suitcases) are nice, solid and best choice aesthetically. But while they're very pleasant on the eyes, they're not so fun to carry unless you want sore arms. Of course, if you have someone carrying them for you that shouldn't be a problem ;)
- Duffel bags, larger than gym-size of course should be lighter but cannot carry as much. It also encourages wrinkles and things like wine-glasses may break if not bubble-wrapped (or covered in clothes) properly.
- Suitcases with wheels are probably your prime choice. They come in many shapes and forms and the wheels mean it's easier to bring along.
* TIP: try not to get a standard black/navy blue one that looks just like everyone elses because more likely than not, someone may take your luggage by mistake because it looks like theirs. But if yours DOES look like that, it helps to tie a ribbon or something identifiably yours on it so you can find it on the baggage carousel easily.
2. Before you pack, you MUST:
- check the weather forecast and have an idea of what it will be like - coats, y/n?
- know how long you will be there for so you have enough clothes to last you the entire time
- consider: will you be doing a lot of shopping? If so, don't fill your suitcase up. Leave some space for your potential purchases.
3. When dismantling your closet, here are some things to remember:
- ALWAYS take a jacket/coat/hoodie because you never know when the temperature will drop.
- choose pieces that can be worked in several ways so you don't have to bring so many.
- try not to bring more than 2 pairs of shoes, and wear the heaviest on the plane.
* TIP: roll your clothes and tie them with rubber bands. it saves space and reduces wrinkles.
*EXAMPLE: my packing list (still in the works) includes...
- white fleece jacket
- black bossini dress
- wrangler jeans
- denim shorts
- opaque black stockings
- b&w checkered scarf (yes, THOSE LOL)
- striped long sleeve top
- grey cardigan
- from first to last t-shirt
- black converse
- green 3/4 sleeve top
1. dress + stockings
2. dress + jeans
3. t-shirt over long-sleeve + shorts + stockings
4. long sleeve + jeans
5. green top + shorts + stockings
...and the jacket/cardigan/scarf can be added depending on how cold it is.
- the usual: sleepwear; underwear (DO NOT FORGET)
- toiletries: eyeliners in black, white and green; toothbrush; hairbrush & comb; gatsby moving rubber (though i probably can't take a straightener.. but I'll live!);
*TIP: if you carry shampoos or perfume, try and transfer them to smaller travel-sized containers :)
- a smaller bag to carry your stuff around every day: keep wallet, cellphone, camera, hotel key, shades in.
- CHARGERS!!! for your cellphone and camera. Worst that could happen is a camera dies on holiday with no spare battery.
- entertainment: a handheld like NDS/PSP or music players are great; but this 1-hour flight I'm just taking 2 packets of star folding paper I have to make... as well as *sigh* my maths books from school because I have to study for an exam in 2 weeks. Wish me luck >o<